"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Mark 13

Welcome back, everyone! I can hardly believe that we are almost done with Mark--only three chapters more to go! It seems like we just started Mark!

Anyway. Today's chapter is Mark 13, and in it Jesus talks about the signs of his coming--basically, the same material as in Matthew 24. Still, I learned some new things. Let's get on with our SOAP!

Scripture:

"So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time...when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door...what I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'" ~Mark 13:23, 29, and 37

Observation:

So I couldn't just pick one verse today! I decided on three verses that I found at various places in the chapter.  
After his disciples ask what will be the signs of the end, Jesus complies and tells them that there will be wars, famines, earthquakes (see any of that lately??), and persecution.  That's when Jesus says the first part of our Scripture passage today, from v. 23:

"So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time."

Isn't it wonderful that we have a God who has told us what will be happening in the future? And we know whatever He says is true!

I also really like v. 29:

"when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door."

Jesus is coming soon! When you invite company to your home, you (and they) are very close to starting the visit when your company is at your door, ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door. Just about the only thing left to happen before Jesus comes is found in v. 10:

"And the gospel must first be preached to all nations."

And then the end will come. Jesus is coming soon! He's right at the door!

OK, onto our final verse, verse 37:

"what I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'"

This is how Jesus finishes his discourse on signs of the end times. What does he say? Read it again! When somebody is finishing up a lecture, discourse, or even an article, they try to sum up the main points towards the end of their piece. The above verse is Jesus' final thoughts to the disciples on the end times. And what does he say?

"what I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'"

He's not just telling the disciples to watch for his coming, he's telling us to do the same too! We need to faithfully watch for Jesus' soon second coming.

Application:

Whatever Jesus says about the future, you can count on that being right. He never fails in his predictions and prophecies! Jesus is coming soon, and he's telling everyone to watch for it. Am I watching, are you watching for Jesus' soon second coming?

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for letting me read this chapter on You coming back to this earth soon. Please help me to be ready, and not so caught up in my daily life that I'm not eagerly watching and waiting forYou. Come soon Lord Jesus! Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment