"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Who Am I? Clue: A Believer In the True God In a Heathen Palace

Shhh....don't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you! Because, you know, well, uh, you know how news travels fast! 

I work for Ahab, the wicked king of Israel. Even though I am forced to work for an evil king, I still know who's the true God. I am a devout believer of the true God in Heaven, and I obey him. In fact, I've even hid one hundred of the true God's prophets! See, well, you know, Jezebel, Ahab's hideous queen started killing off all the prophets of the true God. I grabbed a hundred of them, and put them in two caves, fifty prophets in each cave. It's been hard, but with my connections here at the palace, I've been able to supply them with food and water! [1 Kings 16:29, 31 and 18:3-4]

Oh, that's right. As of yet you don't understand quite what a feat that is. See, there's this huge famine in Israel right now, and everyone and everything is dieing. So it's quite hard to continue supplying food and water to these prophets, but I've done it. [1 Kings 18:2]

Have you ever heard of the prophet Elijah? I'm sure you have because by now EVERYONE's heard of Elijah! Three years ago he just appeared from nowhere, marching on into Ahab and telling the monarch that there'd be no more rain or dew until Israel returned its' allegiance to the true God. Even before Ahab or Jezebel had time to react, poof! Disappears Elijah to who knows where. Really. Ahab sent people to look all over Israel and every nation in the known world too. When different countries could not find Elijah, Ahab made them swear that they could not find him. Elijah was #1 on the "Most Wanted" list, but no one anywhere could find him. Elijah was truly one of God's prophets. Just like Elijah said, no rain or dew has fallen for three years now. [1 Kings 17:1, 18:1, 10]

Imagine my surprise when I'm out searching for water with Ahab when Elijah himself comes up to me! The prophet tells me to go fetch Ahab for him. Now, this is where I draw the line. It's obvious that Elijah has some secret disappearing power. There's not a nation on Earth where Ahab hasn't looked for Elijah! I told Elijah that I feared that I would be killed when I fetched Ahab for Elijah, and then found the prophet not there. Elijah promised that he would not disappear and that he would see Ahab that day. I went and fetched Ahab, and thankfully Elijah was still there. That's where Elijah told Ahab to tell all Israel to assemble atop Mount Carmel. [1 Kings 18:7-17]

Do you know who I am by now? I'm can't tell too many people who I am, but my name is...

Obadiah 

No comments:

Post a Comment