"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Mark 3

Welcome to Mark 3, everyone! Mark 3 is a really cool chapter, and includes some really awesome stories!

This chapter talks about the man with the paralyzed hand (more on that in a minute!), Jesus ministering to the multitude, the naming of the 12 apostles, true relationships and a house divided.

Let me talk about "a house divided" for a minute. Most people, I understand, believe that the quote "If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand." (see verse 25) comes from Abraham Lincoln. While Lincoln used the phrase very successfully with the tensions between the North and the South, Lincoln was actually quoting Scripture! I think that's really cool!

Now let's take our shower with SOAP.

Scripture:

"After looking around at them with anger and sorrow at the hardness of their hearts, He told the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out, and his hand was restored." ~Mark 3:5

Observation:

Since my right hand is partly paralyzed too, I can more than understand this guys' plight. Perhaps he was born with this defect; perhaps he was careless and received paralyzation in some kind of accident. Another  circumstance was that the Pharisees might have made sure that this guy was in the synagogue, and so then they could set Jesus up in a trap. Can you imagine how this guy with the paralyzed hand felt? He's already accursed of society, and now the religious leaders of the day use him to trap Jesus. Can you just imagine what was going through his head? Of course we don't know if the scenario I just described happened, but I certainly do have my suspicions.

Now remember, the Pharisees really haven't finished their argument with Jesus over who's "Lord of the Sabbath". When they find Jesus in church, they question him whether he will heal this man with a paralyzed hand. I'm sure the guy with the paralyzed hand is just bowing his head in shame--I know I wouldn't want my disability to be made fun of--but at the same time hoping against all hopes that his hand will be restored.

Jesus asks the Pharisees a question: "Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?" I'm sure the Pharisees knew the true answer, but they certainly weren't ready to publicly repent and side with Jesus! As is the usual case when Jesus asks a question, the Pharisees remained silent. Looking around the room with anger and sorrow at the Pharisees' stubbornness, Jesus healed the paralyzed man's hand. As I said before, with being partially paralyzed myself, this story means a lot to me.

Application:

Are you in some way paralyzed? And I'm not talking physically, like I am. Are you emotionally or spiritually paralyzed? Come to Jesus--he turns no one away. When you completely surrender yourself to him, he will make you truly whole.

Prayer:

Dear God, I give all of me to you. Please heal me and make me truly whole. Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment