"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 27, Part 2

Today we finish up the next to the last chapter of Matthew, chapter 27. Perhaps more than any other chapter, this passage of Scripture is really intense, serious, and thought-provoking. Why? Well, in short, it talks about Jesus' crucifixion. After I read this Scripture I just laid back and thought. I've known the story by heart for years; hey, I've seen it acted out at SonRise four years in a row! But after reading the story in Matthew, it just hit me how, how, how...I don't know how to put my feelings into words about this story. It's just so amazing that Jesus would do something like what he did for us!!

So as you may have already figured out, today's article will focus on Jesus' crucifixion. I'm just going to go through my favorite verses and talk about them a little, then onto my SOAP. :)

"From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"" ~Matthew 27:45-46

To be sure, the physical pain that Jesus endured upon the cross was horendous. But what Scripture records as being perhaps more painful to Jesus is separation from his Heavenly Father. Wow. Do we have such a connection with God that we would feel such pain of being separated from Him?

"And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life." ~Matthew 27:50-52

I thought it was amazing the events that followed Jesus' death. Such huge things. The temple curtain was broken in two. This was the curtain that separated off the Most Holy Place--the special section of the temple that almost nobody ever saw, it was so sacred. Why did God tear the curtain? Because it was needed no more. The whole Mosaic sanctuary was designed so that people would look forward and see in its' services the death of Christ. And now that Jesus had died, the system was needed no more. An earthquake hit Jerusalem at this moment too, breaking open the tombs of many holy people. God performed a mini-Resurrection right then and there! Later the Bible tells us that these raised-to-life people went into Jerusalem and appeared to many people.

Now onto our SOAP.

Scripture:

"When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"" ~Matthew 27:54

Observation:

The centurion in charge of Jesus' crucifixion finally realized and publicly declared that he believed that Jesus was the Son of God. Earlier in Matthew Peter publicly declares Christ to be the Son of the Living God. The religious leaders thought Jesus was powered by Satan!

Application:

Who do I say that Jesus is? A good man? Or the Son of God who forgives us our sins? Who do you say he is?

Prayer:

Awesome God, thank you so much for dieing on the cross and forgiving me my sins. Thank you for giving me a second chance at life, and the opportunity to spend eternity with you. Truly you are an awesome God. Amen.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here. During the next week or two it will be much harder for me to blog and SOAP every day. I will be continuing the reading, but I don't know whether I'll be able to blog. Please pray that I will be able to continue blogging through the Gospels!

No comments:

Post a Comment