"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Mark 14, Part 1

In today's Bible reading we cover roughly the first half of Mark 14, which is on a woman pouring oil on Jesus' head, the Lord's Supper, Jesus predicting Peter's denial, and Gethsemane. I must admit, today has been the hardest SOAP to think of and write to date, as I have covered most of the same stories and lessons in Matthew!

Scripture:

"She has done a beautiful thing to me...she did what she could." ~Mark 14:6,8

Observation:

Shortly before his death, Jesus attends a feast at Simon the Leper's home. (I seem to remember from somewhere that Jesus healed Simon from his leprosy.) While Jesus is reclining and enjoying the feast, a woman comes and pours a very expensive perfume on his head. Soon everyone is aware of this woman's deed, and some people loudly whisper about what a waste this perfume was--c'mon, you could of sold the money and helped the poor!

I'm sure this woman was quite embarrassed and probably was trying to exit with as much dignity as possible when Jesus spoke up for her. He said many complimentary things about her, including our scripture for today. Jesus told everyone that they would always have the poor, but they wouldn't always have Jesus. Jesus further commended her for preparing his body for burial.

Application:

What I like about this story is that Jesus accepted the gift that this woman gave him. He recognizes that she did what she could, and he praised her for doing a beautiful thing to him. But I have a feeling that the actual gift itself didn't matter too much. Jesus was just too pleased to have one of his children come and give him what they could. I seem to feel that a child giving Jesus a hand-picked dandelion in sincerity would have just as much effect. I just think that it's really cool that to Jesus, the size of the gift doesn't matter. If it's given  sincerely, the size doesn't matter.

That point is very helpful to me. Sometimes when I want to help and give a lot of money or help to say, Japan or the local tornado victims, I might feel like I can't do much good if I don't give or help a lot. But this story shows me that just a little bit--whatever I can do or give--can help!

Remember that if you are sincerely giving something to Jesus, it doesn't matter the size. He appreciates it all, just the same.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for letting me read this passage. Help me to remember that I don't have "do something big" for you to think that I've "done something big". Amen. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) go to: http://www.momstoolbox.com/

1 comment: