"We shall individually be held responsible for doing one jot less than we have ability to do...But when we give ourselves wholly to God, and in our work follow His directions, He makes Himself responsible for its accomplishment. He would not have us conjecture as to the success of our honest endeavors. Not once should we even think of failure. We are to cooperate with One who knows no failure." ~Messages to Young People, p. 309

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blogging Through The Gospels: Matthew 26, Part 2

Happy May 1 everybody! Today we finish up Matthew 26--on Gethsemane, Jesus arrested, Jesus before the Sanhedrin, and Peter disowning Jesus.

Today I really liked the part where Peter disowns Jesus. I feel like many lessons can be learned from that story. Do we not-so-silently disown Jesus by the movies we watch, music we listen to, books we read, or people we hang out with? I would have written on that today, except that I wrote about virtually the same thing yesterday! If you want to see my thoughts on the subject, click here. Amy over at Mom's Toolbox was very nice and posted one of my SOAP devotionals on her website!!

I'm sure many other people will SOAP about this verse as well, but I really liked the verse in which Jesus says "not my will, but yours be done". Let's get ready for our shower with SOAP!

Scripture:

"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." ~Matthew 26:39

Observation:

"Not as I will, but as you will." Wow. Do we say that to God a lot? I don't think so. Whoever truly, sincerely says this is a person very much in tune with God. They may have their own ideas of what they want to do (see Matthew 26:42) but they realize that God's plan is best for them and they accept it.

Application:

Most of the time God's not asking us to physically die, but there's a lot of little decisions to make in which God would be thrilled to hear this verse sincerely said. It may be accepting an invitation to read Scripture up front in church, or volunteering to help a soup kitchen in a not-so-good part of town. It may not even be as obvious as these examples, it may simply be talking to a friend about God. I don't think I need to give too many more examples. You and God--just you two--know what it would be. Often the action might be something that is good for you, yet you're scared to do it.

Prayer:

Dear God, thank you for letting me read this passage today. Give me the courage and strength to sincerely say, "Not my will, but as you will" to the tasks you give me. Amen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.--To learn more about this blogging-through-the-gospels program, or if YOU would like to join yourself (you're more than welcome-jump right in!!) click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment